I love sewing for fashion dolls and action figures. While the garments are very small, they can also be very tedious to sew. My three "must-have" tools for success are my tailor's board, Clover mini iron and my sewing machine walking foot. With all the different edges on the tailor's board, you are bound to find a surface suitable for pressing such small seams.
Keep these tips in mind:
- Press seams open whenever possible
- Always use flat construction
- Don't cut the original pattern pieces. Trace them onto tracing paper and leave original pattern intact.
- A fat quarter of fabric can go a very long way.
- Use velcro and snaps to fasten clothes
- Be sure dolls hands can fit through sleeve ends
- Sometimes hand stitching is the only answer
Take a peek into my doll closet!
Hope you enjoyed and are able to incorporate some of these tips for sewing for your fashion dolls and action figures. Rachelle Green